Hello! I didn’t forget about all of you; I’ve had a very busy month of traveling. I spent a couple of weeks traveling around Northern California on a little book tour—you can read about it HERE if you’d like. I now get to spend 8 days in New York City this month with my dear friends Kerrie and Nicole! I’ve thrilled to be going on this trip, especially since I’ve never been to the Big Apple. I’m hoping I get a chance to check out some of Alicia Silverstone’s favorite NYC vegan eateries while I’m there. Any recommendations of your own?
In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying not living out of a suitcase for a few days and I finally got back in the kitchen. I recently picked up The Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook and decided try the meatless ragu. I made a few changes to the recipe, however. You may not think to haul out the slow cooker during the summer, (let alone for vegan food), but it beats using the oven to heat up the house and we’re not regular grill users, so the crock pot is a great idea. The only trouble is that the smell of everything cooking might make you hungry all day. Most of the recipes in the cookbook include instructions for what to prepare the night before and what to prepare the next day—a real time-saver. There wasn’t much to do the night before, so I threw it all together in about 15 minutes around noon.
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 C onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Field Roast sausages, Italian Seasonings flavor, crumbled
1 28-oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
2 C mushrooms, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs port wine
Chopped fresh basil
Optional ingredients: diced zucchini and/or bell pepper
1 lb Rigatoni pasta
In a large skillet, cook the onion in the olive oil, until the onions are tender, a bout 3-4 minutes.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ C onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Field Roast sausages, Italian Seasonings flavor, crumbled
- 1 28-oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 C mushrooms, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbs port wine
- Chopped fresh basil
- Optional ingredients: diced zucchini and/or bell pepper
- 1 lb Rigatoni pasta
- In a large skillet, cook the onion in the olive oil, until the onions are tender, a bout 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker. Next, add the Field Roast to the skillet and over medium heat, saute until browned, 3-4 minutes as well.
- Transfer the Field Roast, tomatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper, vinegar, and wine in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!